Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

It's Finally Time...

I promised that I would do an update and let everyone know what was gping on when I was ready so here it is...

My ID Dr at the VA called me on Sept 4 and told me that it was nothing to worry about but my numbers had dropped and he thought it was time for me to start meds.  I asked him what they were so he told me that my CD4 had dropped to 363 and my viral load had gone up to 44,000.  Well this really had me freaking out ALOT and I was a total mess not really knowing what to do, that was till I got a call from the pharmacist in the clinic to confirm my information to mail me the perscription.  I asked the pharmacists to please look up my labs just hoping that there had been some kind of mistake, and just my luck there had been.  My viral load had gone up to 44,000 by my CD4 was not 363, instead it was 636.  My Dr must be dyslexic or something.  It was alittle relief to me that it had actually not dropped as much as my Dr had originally told me but I was still nervous and a reck about starting meds. The call from the pharmacist was on Friday Sept 6th.

The next week I spent anxiously awaiting for the mail everyday to see if my new meds had arrived, while really praying each day that they had not.  Well they did not show up till this past Friday the 13th.  I guess it is fitting that something I was dreading and scared of showed up on Friday the 13th...  Luckly when I got them I was on my way out for the evening so I really did not have alot of time to sit and just think about it which really did me well.

Now when it came time to acrually taking the pill that is a different story.  I had been talking to a friend I had met when I was first diagnosed back in 2010.  He was returning to NMC Balboa for his yearly evaluations and he was the first mentor type person I had,  he was giving me some advice on what may be a good way to take it so I don't get too worked up about it.  He said to start a movie and then just reach over and take it once you get into the movie, that way you are not really thinking about it too much.  He also suggested maybe taking it with somebody that way I am not alone if I get too upset.  He was right in saying that it could be a hard time for some people.  About half way through the movie I decided to just go ahead and do it.

It wasnot as climatic as I had worked myself up for but what was I really thinking was going to happen lol.  I will say I did not get much sleep that night because I had worked myself up so much that I was not tired, that was a mistake because that left me awake all nightto just think.  As my friend said "it may feel like you are loosing because you are having to start meds, but think of it as winning because you will soon be undetectable," he was right again, for me for some reason it did feel like apart of me was loosing, but I had to put that thought behind me and think of for the best.

Well I have now taken it for 3 nights now and the only complaint I have so far is the constant nausea I have had and the constant feeling of tiredness.   I hope these shale pass soon and they told me they should.  I will say I was hoping for some of the crazy dreams everyone says they had with Atripla but I guess with Stribild you don't get those.

Here is to the rest of my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment