Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Let's Talk About SEX...

     I know we have all heard about safe sex practices and how being safe can reduce our own risk of contracting HIV or any other STD. Why then do so many young gay men decide to ignore what we know is right?
     Is it due to the influence of alcohol or other mind altering drugs?  Possibly...
     Is it due to the fact that we feel that unprotected sex is more intimate and brings us         closer together?  Possibly...
     Is it because we think it could never happen to us?  Probably...
     I think it is more of the fact that we as a community are just being stupid and are thinking with the wrong "head".
   
     I find it astonishing that studies show that more than 1/3 of HIV-Positive gay men have had unprotected anal intercourse in the past 6 months.  I know I am guilty of this as well, but what the hell is wrong with us?  Did we not learn our lesson already? This type of behavior is what got us in this spot in the first place.
   
     I think I might be able to shead some light on the subject.  Now this is strictly my personal opinions and why I think I have been known to engage in this risky behavior.
     I think most HIV-Positive men continue to have unprotected sex because they do not care anymore.  They feel as if they already have HIV, so what could be worse, or what else do they have to loose.  They dont realize or either care how dangerous catching another STD could be to their already weakened immune system.  This is stupid and the wrong mentality to have about the situation.  As for me personally, I think it is more of the need to feel close to someone even for a brief moment and even if it means nothing more than just sex.  I think the longing for another humans touch and to feel close to someone overrides all logical thought.  This too is the wrong mentality to have and on top of that is just stupid as hell.

     We all know what is right, and also what is harmful and dangerous. So why must we risk further harming our bodies for just a few brief moments of intimacy?
     I get lonely and get the need to feel the touch of anothers embrace just like anyone else, but that dosn't mean I have to be stupid about how I do it.  Sex is great and I love it, but even I have to start being smarter. We as a community have to start being smarter.  This risky behavior HAS to stop, and for that to happen it starts with us.

***This is just another interesting fact. A study taken of 18 to 27 year old gay and bi men shows that 51% of men with boyfriends had engaged in unprotected anal intercourse in the past 2 months compaired to 21% of single men who had engaged in the same type of behavior.  Also 42% did not know their own or their partners HIV status.  Not knowing your own status or the status of any partners is stupid and extremely dangerous.  If you have had unprotected sex even once since the last time you were tested you could be at risk of not only being infected but also infecting someone else.  So please KNOW YOUR STATUS, GET TESTED!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment